Home » Tottenham players will be divided over Fonseca claims pundit
Tottenham players will be divided over Fonseca claims pundit
By Bruce Grove -

Former Scotland manager, Alex McLeish says Tottenham players will be divided over their next manager.

Spurs have been on the hunt for a new boss since they fired Jose Mourinho in April.

The Lilywhites have missed out on some of their top targets so far, but they are reportedly close to making Paulo Fonseca their next head coach, according to Fabrizio Romano.

The former AS Roma manager wasn’t the Lilywhites’ first choice, but after missing out on the likes of Brendan Rodgers and Julian Naglesmann, they seem to have settled for him.

As he prepares to resume work in London, McLeish reckons that Tottenham’s top players will have doubts over his pedigree after being managed by someone as good as Mourinho.

However, he says the players down the pecking order should be delighted as they can now expect to get another chance to stake a claim for relevance in the squad.

“For some, the slate will be clean and it will be a chance to impress this new gaffer,” McLeish told Football Insider.

“Some will maybe be thinking: ‘We are not really aware of Fonseca, the way we’re aware of other head coaches. Where are we going in terms of success for Tottenham? What is the yardstick? Can we get to the levels that we have been in recent years?’

“I guess only time will tell. Spurs fans and the Spurs hierarchy will have to see what Fonseca can do. When you recruit these guys, there’s got to have been a lot of homework done.

“You can’t say that guys like Daniel Levy are very naive. They have great sources in terms of what they know about these coaches when they bring them in.”

Tags Alex Mcleish NewsNow Paulo Fonseca
9 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Matt
Matt
1 month ago

Irrelevant now.

SimonSpur
SimonSpur
1 month ago

Go Levy, just go!!!!!

He has to go. Only he should be held accountable for this latest debacle.

John
John
1 month ago

They won’t be divided if he doesn’t come ……

Ian
Ian
1 month ago

Just seen this reported ‘There are huge fiscal problems to complete the appointment of Fonseca as new manager despite verbal agreement completed and contract set to be signed’ so we can’t even sign a manger now????

Harry
Harry
1 month ago

Well those players who don’t want to get on board can frankly f**k off to be honest, half of the current squad have been stealing a living.I cancelled my membership and two sons too. Been a loyal fan since 1973 and never have I been so fed up as I am now with these owners. Hopefully season ticket holders will boycott the stadium these season and force an outcome.

Snarklife
Snarklife
1 month ago
Reply to  Harry

Why did you cancel your two sons? Did they fail to tidy their bedrooms or something?

Harry
Harry
1 month ago
Reply to  Snarklife

We were all fed up of funding ENIC

Stewart Smith
Stewart Smith
1 month ago
Reply to  Harry

Your absolute right to do whatever you please, but thinking THFC will not sell EVERY season ticket is a bit naive.
The ones who do not renew will readily be replaced as the waiting list is as long as the number of season tickets available & all club chairman know 90% (my guess) of supporters are loyal to a fault & wouldn’t bat an eyelid at the other 10% not renewing or attending, etc.

Last edited 1 month ago by Stewart Smith
Harry
Harry
1 month ago
Reply to  Stewart Smith

Well hopefully the fans who attend will let their feelings known! Enic know they have completely balls up, Lewis tried to sell 50% share but Levy still wanted to be in charge and run the show. Wish we had owners like Liverpool or Man City……we can all dream!!

Follow Us